A Cuban Sandwich, sometimes called a cubano, is a Latin variation on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. This undeniably delicious sandwich is grilled and made with ham, pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and Cuban bread. The essential ingredient is the roasted pork.
1 Loaf of Cuban Bread (Substitutes: French or Italian Bread)
1 pound cooked ham (sliced)
1 pound roasted pork (sliced)
1/2 pound Swiss cheese (sliced)
dill pickles (sliced)
Yellow mustard or Mayonnaise
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Total Time:30 minutes
1. Preheat a griddle or frying pan on medium heat.2. Cut the loaf of bread into quarters and slice each quarter in half lengthwise for the sandwiches.
3. Spread the mustard or mayonnaise on the bread. Then make each sandwich by layering the pickles, roasted pork, ham, and cheese.
4. Lightly coat the cooking surface of the griddle or frying pan with cooking spray or butter. Place one sandwich onto the hot surface.
5. Put a clean, heavy skillet on top of the sandwich to flatten it. Press the bread down to about 1/3 of its original size.
6. Leave the skillet on top of the sandwich and grill for one or two minutes. Lift the heavy skillet, turn the sandwich over and repeat this step for the other side of the sandwich.
7. The cheese should be melted and the bread golden brown. Slice each sandwich in half diagonally and serve.