Havana, Mar 5 (Prensa Latina) Sixty percent of houses damaged in Havana by the January 27 tornado have already been restored, according to a meeting headed by President Miguel Diaz-Canel, whose results are reported in the local press Tuesday.
The President, according to the daily Granma, acknowledged the progress made in the recovery and insisted on the need to constantly assess what is being done and what is still pending.
The powerful climatic phenomenon caused nearly 8,000 impacts on the housing infrastructure in Regla, Guanabacoa and Diez de Octubre, the most affected municipalities on the tragic Sunday, when several people died and dozens were injured.
Authorities in Havana said in the meeting that of the 804 total collapses reported from the tornado’s impact, 101 houses have been completed.
More than 200 are expected to be completed in March, said Reynaldo Garcia, President of the Government in Havana.
Everything that has been carried out so far, according to the official, has been under the principle that works are high quality and that the buildings are in a better state of construction than before.
For his part, the first secretary of the Provincial Committee of the Communist Party, Luis Antonio Torres Iribar , highlighted the joining of families to the construction work from the first moment that specialized brigades began their work.