Havana, Feb 21 (Prensa Latina) President Miguel Diaz-Canel denounced today that the intensification of the US blockade against Cuba and its persecution against the arrival of fuel to the country is added to a campaign to discredit the island.
The Cuban president and Prime Minister Manuel Marrero attended the debate of the report presented by the Domestic Trade Minister (MINCIN), Betsy Diaz, as part of the annual evaluation of the work of that organization in 2019.
According to the Cuban presidency’s social network Twitter, Diaz-Canel said that Washington’s smear campaigns against the island are focused on the tourism, health, public safety and product shortages caused by the U.S. economic, commercial and financial siege.
As lines of work of the MINCIN, he said the agency should prioritize consumer protection, an attitude that should represent the trade and gastronomy worker; financial order, control of commercial circulation, and payment for results.
The Cuban president highlighted the work carried out by this ministry in the organization of trade and gastronomy activities, in its leadership and the relationship with other ministries, the guarantee of the basic basket and social programs.
The meeting was characterized by the effort to face the consequences of the U.S. blockade and a critical approach to the work carried out last year.
The head of the MINCIN referred to the main difficulties affecting trade management, such as insufficient quality and effectiveness in retail sales and their correspondence with inventories, the Granma newspaper reports on its website.
The report states that, despite the country’s shortages, which is subject to a fence policy intensified by the United States, supplies are guaranteed for prioritized programs such as the basic family basket.
The report acknowledges dissatisfaction among the population, as well as fissures that encourage illegal activities and inadequate control of resources.