Havana, Feb 3 (Prensa Latina) The construction of houses for the people affected in Havana by a tornado on January 27 started on Saturday, official sources reported on Sunday.
According to a summary of the Council of Ministers meeting held on Saturday to follow up on the recovery from the meteorological event, works began in several places in the Cuban capital, while the assessment of damages in houses continues, one week after the tornado today.
During the meeting chaired by President Miguel Diaz-Canel, Construction Minister Rene Mesa said that of 3,513 houses damaged so far, the technical data for 2,873 was prepared.
According to Mesa, this survey is fundamental for the acquisition of materials for reconstruction.
Diaz-Canel insisted on the need that the procedure offices for the purchase of construction materials work with quality and urgency.
Energy and Mines Minister Raul Garcia reported that the power service was practically restored, and only some cases remain without electricity and they will solved in the coming hours.
In the case of telephone services, Communications Minister Jorge Luis Perdomo said at the meeting of the Council of Ministers that 65 percent of land lines had been restored.
Diaz-Canel repeated his call to maintain permanent contacts with the people affected by the tornado, in order to explain the progress of the recovery and listen to their problems.
In the evening of January 27, a tornado killed four people, injured dozens and caused considerable damage to housing and roads, as well as basic services in the Havana municipalities of Regla, Guanabacoa, Diez de Octubre and San Miguel del Padron.