Central Cuba Recovers Peregrination Site Dedicated to Che Guevara

Sancti Spiritus, Cuba, Jul 17 (Prensa Latina) The monument that remembers the end of the invasion of Column 8, commanded by Ernesto Che Guevara during the final offensive in 1958 to the center of Cuba, renews today his image after a rehabilitation.
Since the 1980s, the obelisk recalls the beginning of the route of the invading column in this part of the country, becoming a place of peregrination for young university students, walkers and tourists interested in the legend of the Argentine hero.

Maintenance and conservation work restored sidewalks, the stairway, the perimeter fence and the flag pole of the monument, where the passage of Column 8 Ciro Redondo culminated from the Sierra Maestra to the former central province of Las Villas.

As part of the work, the slabs were also cleaned and the allegorical texts were also placed, included in the project, told the press Rolando Lasval, director of Culture and Art in the province of Sancti Spíritus.

According to local historians, although the troops were only a few hours in the place, this was the scene of the first approaches between the Heroic Guerrilla and the revolutionary forces operating in the Escambray.

In that area, near the municipality of Sancti Spíritus, Guevara developed what he called a ‘tiring political activity’ to achieve unity among those guerrilla groups that faced strong internal struggles.

The Heroic Guerrilla,as he was called also, remained in the Espirituanas mountains from October 15 until the final days of 1958.

This entry was posted in Cultural. Bookmark the permalink.